Summary

Copper One Penny Token, minted by an unknown British Mint. Issued by Clarkson & Turnbull, Timaru, New Zealand, 1865. The firm of Clarkson and Turnbull was founded in 1863 at Timaru. The Principals were David Clarkson and Richard Turnbull. Timaru was only declared a Port of Entry in 1861, so it was still quite a young settlement when Clarkson and Turnbull opened their store. Their premises were of particular note in the township, 'a two-storey building at the corner of George Street and the South Road, whose cost would be about 2,500 [pounds]; plate glass for the windows was being imported from England at a cost of about 150 [pounds].' The business was the first to export flour from Timaru 'which since then has been continuous.' The partnership was disrupted on 9 December 1868 by a fire that consumed their premises, among a total of 30 buildings destroyed. After their premises were destroyed Clarkson & Turnbull dissolved their partnership. David Clarkson returned to Christchurch and Robert Turnbull remained in Timaru, carrying on their business in his own name.

Previous Collections: National Gallery of Victoria

Physical Description

A round copper token (34 mm diameter). The piece features the name, address and business of the issuer: Clarkson & Turnbull, general importers, drapers clothiers &c., Timaru. The reverse features a view of the local breakwater and lighthouse with a two-funnelled three masted steam sailing ship docking and a crowd of 14 people waiting on the breakwater. This token has been cleaned and varnished.

Obverse Description

Around a circle of beads, CLARKSON & TURNBULL 1865 within in five lines, GENERAL / IMPORTERS / DRAPERS / CLOTHIERS / &c

Reverse Description

View of the local breakwater and lighthouse with a two-funnelled three masted steam sailing ship docking and a crowd of 14 people waiting on the breakwater. Above, NEW ZEALAND, in exergue, TIMARU

Edge Description

Plain

More Information