Copper One Penny Token, minted by Stokes, Melbourne. Issued by J. Caro & Co, General Ironmongers, Christchurch, circa 1863. J. Caro & Co was established in 1860 in High Street, Christchurch. The founder, J. Caro, sold it to Solomon Nashelski and his nephew in 1864. The business traded as S&H Nashelski until 1876, when it became S. Nashelski. In 1880 it was sold to Edward E. Ashby and L. Bergh, and it became a limited liability company in 1899. The business was still trading in 1950. In addition to trading as ironmongers, advertisements suggest that, in the late nineteenth century, the company was in the building trade, actually constructing buildings as well as selling the fittings for them.

Previous Collections: George McArthur

Physical Description

A round copper token (34 mm diameter). The piece features the name, address and business of the issuer: J. Caro & Co. High Street, Christchurch. The reverse features a ploughman at work.

Obverse Description

At centre within a line circle, J. CARO / & CO / HIGH ST. around above and below, GENERAL IRONMONGERS : CHRISTCHURCH :

Reverse Description

A man operating a small animal drawn plough to right, the handles and reins shown; around above, TRADE AND AGRICULTURE; below in small letters the makers name, STOKES MELB

Edge Description


More Information