Summary

Australia
Medal - Hamilton Academy Prize c. 1875 (AD)
Mint: Stokes & Martin
Other Details: Hamilton Academy prize medal issued around 1875. One section of St Mary's, Hamilton - known today as 'The Old Convent' - was the original 'Hamilton Academy'. The Hamilton Academy was a boys' school in Hamilton, Victoria. The first Catholic School was opened in Hamilton in April 1858 by Nicholas Flynn and his wife Margaret. They remained until 1865. The site of the school was where Monivae Junior stands today. In 1904 'The Academy' came on the market. Dean Shanahan purchased the Academy. The main building became the Convent for the Loreto Sisters who arrived in July 1905. The change over of the primary school children of St. Mary's in Lonsdale Street to the Academy in Coleraine Road was effected immediately. The Loreto Sisters ran St. Mary's School until December 1923. The Sisters of the Good Samaritan arrived to take over Catholic Education in Hamilton in January 1924.

Physical Description

An unissued gilt prize medal (47 mm diameter) featuring the school shield within a laurel wreath, by Julius Hogarth. The shield features a large cross with the five stars of the Southern Cross, dividing it into four quarters containing a pine tree, bee, flag with the word EXCELSIOR and a wreath. The reverse has space to engrave a winner's details within a wreath.

Obverse Description

School shield within a laurel wreath, by Julius Hogarth. The shield features a large cross with the five stars of the Southern Cross, dividing it into four quarters containing a pine tree, bee, flag with the word EXCELSIOR and a wreath. Above, HAMILTON; below, ACADEMY PALMAM QUI MERUIT FERATin small letters below shield the artist's initials, J H

Reverse Description

Space to engrave a winner's details within a wreath

Edge Description

Plain

Significance

One section of St Mary's, Hamilton - known today as 'The Old Convent' was the original 'Hamilton Academy'. The first Catholic School was opened in Hamilton in April 1858 by Nicholas Flynn and his wife Margaret. They remained until 1865. The site of the school was where Monivae Junior stands today. In 1904 'The Academy' came on the market. Dean Shanahan purchased the Academy. The main building became the Convent for the Loreto Sisters who arrived in July 1905. The change over of the primary school children of St. Mary’s in Lonsdale Street to the Academy in Coleraine Road was effected immediately. The Loreto Sisters ran St. Mary’s School until December 1923. The Sisters of the Good Samaritan arrived to take over Catholic Education in Hamilton in January 1924.
Catholic schools of Victoria : http://www.cecv.melb.catholic.edu.au/schools/schoolinfo.asp?searchfor=E2035
John Sharples 24 Nov 2003

More Information