Similar to a Fultograph radio facsimile receiver. Manufactured by Television and Radio Laboratories (later Radiovision) in Melbourne in 1929.

This was the first commercial picture reception machine used in broadcast facsimile tests by the Melbourne radio stations 3DB and 3UZ, and Sydney station 2UE, between 1929 and 1932. The machine was probably used in company director Macdonald's home in Sandringham. The transmitted picture was reconstructed at the receiving end on special paper treated with potassium iodide. The device was powered by a clockwork motor, similar to that used in a gramophone.

It is interesting to note that the manufacturer included the word 'television' in their name as early as 1929.

Physical Description

Rectangular wooden base with driving mechanism and clockwork motor covered by metal case. Shaft carrying rotating metal drum with clamp to hold chemically treated paper. Milliiammeter (0-10 milliamps) on base plate. Cylindrical cover over socket on base, possibly for a vacuum tube.

More Information