Summary

Aircraft History

Initially designed to a wartime military specification by the Douglas Aircraft Company, the DC-6 was derived from the DC-4 but featured greater range, speed and payload. It was powered by four Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp radial engines. The USAF operated the type as the C-118 and the first commercial passenger version flew in 1946. The pressurised passenger cabin offered a far more comfortable flight than the earlier unpressurised DC-3 and DC-4s. In addition to US operators such as Pan Am, local airlines such as British Commonwealth Pacific Airways used the DC-6. Australian National Airways/Ansett-ANA, Qantas and Trans Australia Airlines also operated the type. The DC-6B was an improved version which could accomodate up to 102 passengers. A total of 704 DC-6 series aircraft were built between 1946 and 1959.

Model History

This model appears to be a promotional display model. It was donated to the Museum in 1954 by Colonel J.L Sullivan, air attache with the US Embassy in Canberra.

More Information