Aircraft History

Built by Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Ltd for Imperial Airways with three Jaguar radial engines, the Argosy was first flown in March 1926. Imperial Airways operated the 20 passenger Argosy on services to Paris, Basle, Brussells and Cologne from Croydon Airport near London. In 1929, the Argosy was used to inaugurate the Empire air mail route to India. Just six Argosy aircraft were built. Three were lost in accidents with the last example being retired in 1936.

Model History

This 1:24 scale model was donated to the Museum by Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Ltd in 1954. It is apparently a factory presentation or display model.

More Information