The Convair B-36 was designed during World War II by Consolidated Vultee (later the Convair Division of the General Dynamics Corporation) as very long-range bomber for the USAAF. It first flew in 1946. It was of an unusual appearance due to the pusher configuration of the six Pratt & Whitney R-4360 radial piston engines. An additional four General Electric J47 jet engines were fitted to the 230 foot wing to increase speed. It was designed to carry 80,000 lbs of nuclear or other bombs. It served only with the USAF Strategic Air Command and was withdrawn in 1959 to be replaced with the Boeing B-52.
This model of a Convair B-36D was presented to the Museum by Colonel J.L Sullivan in 1954. According to an Australian War Memorial photograph (MALTA0028), a Colonel Sullivan was the Air Attache with the US Embassy in the early 1950s and this officer may have been the source of the donation. It is mounted on a wooden display stand and appears to be a presentation model used by the manufacturer or the USAF as a promotional or display model. It is painted in an all-silver USAF scheme.
Wooden model aeroplane painted silver with wide wingspan, six propellers and windows painted in blue.
Donation from Colonel J. L. Sullivan, 08/02/1954
On each side of the model: UNITED STATES AIR FORCE On tail: CONVAIR On wing: USAF
Type of item
520 mm (Length), 730 mm (Width), 125 mm (Height)