State landau coach made by Hooper & Co, London, about 1897. The vehicle, which had room for four passengers, was drawn by four horses, with postilion riders on the left-hand horses. The landau was used in official ceremonial processions including the opening of the first Federal Parliament in Melbourne on 9 May 1901, the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York in 1927, and the visit of the Duke of Gloucester in October 1934 for Victoria’s Centenary celebrations.

The landau was built in London and imported by Australia's first Governor-General, Lord Hopetoun. Melbourne's coach builders expressed their disappointment that an imported coach was used on such an important occasion.

In 1901, the undercarriage was painted vermilion and the body panels dark brown. The interior was a rich royal blue trimmed in blue Morocco leather, with the seal of Australia on each door. The current exterior paint scheme is black, with yellow and brown lining, and the Australian coat of arms is detailed on each door. The harness bears the Coat of Arms of Lord Denham, Governor-General of Australia from 1911-14.

Physical Description

State landau coach fitted with four hard rubber tyres, C-spring suspension and folding square leather hood. It also has a distinctive curved leather splasher or dashboard at the front and a rumble seat for a brakeman and footmen at the rear.

More Information