Serial no. 168. Used as a generator for a ship's electrical lighting plant. Manufactured in 1887, this unit is one of the earliest axial flow turbine units produced by C.A. Parsons & Co. Ltd, Newcastle Upon Tyne. Charles Parsons invented the modern steam turbine for electrical power generation but it was soon adapted for use in marine propulsion after a trial installation in the steam yacht SY Turbinia in 1894. This unit was donated to the Museum by C.A. Parsons & Co. in January 1914 following a special request from the Curator R. Henry Walcott via Parson's local agent William Adams & Co.

More Information