The Austro Daimler was one of the first successful in-line, water-cooled aero engines developed in Europe. The design was used by combatant nations on opposing sides during the First World War. In 1912, the Austro Daimler Company allowed Arrol-Johnstone Ltd of Dumfries, Scotland, an automobile maker associated with William Beardmore & Co. of Glasgow to produce their 120 horsepower, six-cylinder engine under licence. These engines were later improved by fitting larger cylinders to produce 160 horsepower.

This engine was acquired from the Science Museum in London. It is a 120 horsepower British-built model fitted to the F.E series pusher biplanes produced by the Royal Aircraft Factory. It is fitted with two carburettors and two magnetos. It is marked 'G.W. 1022', 'W.D. 1258' and '188'.

Physical Description

General Specifications: Type: 6-cylinder, inline, upright piston engine Bore: 5.12 in (130 mm) Stroke: 6.89 in (175 mm) Displacement: 851 cu in (13.145 L) Length: 57 in (1,148 mm) Width: 19.9 in (505 mm) Height: 31.9 in (810 mm) Dry Weight: 545 lb (247 kg) Valve Type: Overhead poppets Fuel Type: Petrol Cooling: Water-cooled Reduction Gear: Direct drive, right-hand tractor Power Output: 154 hp (115 kW) at 1,400 rpm (maximum power) Specific Power: 0.18 hp/cu in (8.74 kw/L) Compression Ratio: 4.85:1 Power-to-Weight Ratio: 0.28 hp/lb (0.46 kW/kg)

More Information