This is the original yellow pine propeller fitted to John Roberson Duigan's biplane, the first Australian-built powered aircraft to fly. The propeller was made by John Fulton, an experienced pattern maker at his business premises at 519 Swanston Street, Carlton. The propeller was replaced before the aircraft was flown as Duigan found it was too light and did not provide the required thrust from the engine built by J.E. Tilley. The propeller was stored on Duigan family property 'Spring Plains' at Mia Mia until 1920, when it was donated to the Museum along with the 1910 biplane.

More Information