This 1:16 scale model was commissioned by the Museum and built by Harold P. Wood in 1959.

The S.E.5 (Scout Experimental 5) was designed by Henry P. Folland, John Kenworthy and Major Frank Goodden of the Royal Aircraft Factory, Farnborough, Englaad. Based around the new 150 horsepower(112 kW) Hispano-Suiza 8a V8 engine, it provided excellent aeerial performance, although the compressed time-frame for testing and prototype development meant that the first production aircraft had a repuation for unreliability. Together with the Camel, the SE.5 was instrumental in regaining allied air superiority in mid-1917 and maintaining it to the end of the First World War.

Physical Description

Wooden model biplane painted olive green with bullseyes coloured blue, white and red on the wings and body section. There is a machine gun mounted in the centre on top of the upper wings.

More Information