Summary

Turret clock movement, made by Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne, 1882.

The clock was originally installed on a tower at the Elizabeth Street entrance of Flinders Street Station, Melbourne, in 1882-3. It became a Melbourne landmark and was commonly known at "the water tower clock".

In 1901 the clock and tower was relocated to Princes Bridge Station, Melbourne. In 1910 to clock and tower was relocated to Spencer Street Station, Melbourne, where it remained until dismantled in 1967.

The structure holding the four clock faces passed into private hands, but was subsequently purchased by the Victorian Government. Restored with an electric movement, it is now installed in the main concourse of Southern Cross Station.

Physical Description

Clock movement in wooden and glass case with lead roof.

More Information