Standard imperial half gallon, brass. Made by Potter, London.

Originally used by the Customs Department as the Imperial standard measure for Victoria. Transferred to Melbourne Observatory in 1902 when the observatory took over responsibility for administering primary standards of weights and measures for Victoria. Subsequently used by the Weights and Measures Branch when the Observatory closed in 1944.

More Information