The Museum's Gipsy Major engine carries the serial no. T.1 as the first Australian-built Gipsy Major engine. After completion it was tested by the Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) in May 1941. It was retained by the CSIR Aeronautical Research Laboratories (ARL) at Fishermans Bend and subsequently donated to the Museum by ARL in 1952. This is also the first engine of any type built by General Motors-Holden's prior to beginning motor car manufacturing in 1948.

More Information