Summary

The RAF 1A is a 90 horsepower, V8, air-cooled engine designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory at Farnborough in the United Kingdom. This example was built under licence by the Lanchester Motor Company Ltd in Birmingham and carries the factory serial no. 2056 and War Department no. 2843. It is fitted with a Claudel-Hobson carburettor. The engine was acquired by the Museum from the Aircraft Disposal Company in London in 1922. The RAF 1A was most commonly fitted to B.E.2 series aircraft which were widely used in the early part of the First World War by the Royal Flying Corps for reconnaissance and bombing missions as well as pilot training.

More Information