Individual wall-mounted men's urinal with flat-backed enamelled metal bowl & gravity flush cast-iron cistern. Cistern marked "c. Monteath & sons the chief patent south Melbourne" in raised lettering cast into front face. Mounted on framed timber board. Approx. 2-gallon capacity. Lever & chain operated.
Removed from a former workers' toilet in the courtyard of the Phoenix Clothing Factory at 347a King Street, Melbourne, when the building was being refurbished in 1997.

This urinal is of a style that suggests it was either installed when the property was first sewered in about 1899 or during the early 1900s. The location of this urinal and the related toilet reflected the requirements introduced by the 1880s Factories Act.

More Information