Platinum iridium pound weight, avoirdupois. Primary standard pound weight for Victoria, 1864.

The weight was initially held by the Victorian Customs & Excise Department at the Customs House in Flinders Street, Melbourne. At Federation in 1901, when customs functions were transferred to the Commonwealth Government, the standards were transferred to Melbourne Observatory, which took over responsibility for administering weights and measures for Victoria. With the closing of Melbourne Observatory in 1944, a Weights and Measures Branch of the Victorian Government took over responsibility.

Physical Description

Platinum iridium weight in wooden hinged box, with ivory lifter.

More Information