Model of the Monitor HMVS Cerberus (3480 tons). Original ship built by Palmer & Co., UK in 1870. One of the earliest warships equipped with turrets each fitted with two 10-inch rifled muzzle-loading guns. This roughly 1:120 half section scale model was made by Commander James. L. Breaks. Breaks was one of the original engineers on the Cerberus and was onboard during the voyage from Britain to Australia in 1870-71 via the Suez Canal. Breaks was associated with Cerberus for the rest of his career. After being appointed as Fleet Engineer of the Victorian Colonial Navy he joined the Commonwealth Naval Forces and retired in 1905. The model was donated to the Museum in 1920 by his widow following his death in 1919 at Williamstown.

More Information