Summary

Model of Royal Navy battlecruiser (42,100 tons) HMS Hood. Following the Battle of Jutland in 1916, considerable extra armour was added to new capital ships under construction including Hood which was launched at the John Brown & Co. yard at Glasgow in August 1918. The four Brown-Curtis shaft-geared turbines used Michell thrust bearings, the invention of Melbourne engineer A.G.M. Michell. Following completion in 1920, Hood was the largest warship of the Royal Navy and completed a world cruise in 1924 with the Special Service Squadron during which she visited Australia including a stop at Melbourne in March 1924. During World War II Hood served with the Home Fleet and took part in the hunt for the German battleship Bismarck in May 1941. On 25 May 1941 Hood was hit by shells from Bismarck and her escort the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen and blew up leaving just three survivors of her 1418 crew. A number of Australians serving on Hood at this time were lost including RAN Ordinary Seaman Ian Startup of Williamstown in Melbourne, John Shannon, George Hall and David Hall.

This 1:240 scale model of HMS Hood was built by Mr S. Rea and was purchased by the Museum in 1943.

More Information