Photograph taken during a series of scientific expeditions undertaken in the waters off Antarctica, during the late 1920s and 1930s. Probably taken by George W. Rayner, who was employed as a biologist on the expeditions.

'MacKenzie Sea' was the name originally given to Mackenzie Bay at the western end of the Amery Ice Shelf, about 32 kilometres northeast of Foley Peninsula, Antarctica. The feature was first sighted on 10 February 1931 by the British Australian New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition (BANZARE) of 1929-31, led by Douglas Mawson and an airplane flight was made to sketch its limits. The feature was named after Captain K.N. MacKenzie, master of the expedition's ship RRS Discovery. Since its discovery the embayment has been drastically reduced in size by breakout of a large part of the Amery Ice Shelf.

Description of Content

Depicts a man standing against ice encrusted ships' deck railings. Mackenzie Sea, off Amery Ice Shelf, MacRobertson Land, Antarctica.

More Information