First flown on 9 September 1916, the Bristol F.2A was intended as a two-seat scouting/reconnaissance aircraft for the Royal Flying Corps but proved adaptable to a variety of roles during the First World War. The improved F.2B was often used as a fighter aircraft with the gunner providing defence against attacks from behind. A Rolls-Royce Falcon engine was usually fitted but some aircraft had a Sunbeam Arab, Wolseley Viper or Siddeley Puma engine. An attempt to manufacture the F.2B in the USA with a Liberty V12 engine was not a success and no aircraft were built before the war ended. The F2.B remained in RAF service after 1918 many served in colonial outposts such as Iraq and India. The last F.2B left RAF service in 1932 although some remained in service until 1938 with the New Zealand Air Force.
The F.2B was used by 1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps in Palestine in 1917-18. Some of the Squadron's aircraft cooperated with Colonel T.E. Lawrence and his force of Arab fighters in operations against the Turks. In late 1918 the Squadron participated in attacks which destroyed most of three Turkish armies. The Bristol Aeroplane Co. modified the F.2B after the war into a civilian two or three-seat passenger aircraft called the Bristol Tourer, eight of which were flown in Australia in the 1920s.
This scale model of a Bristol F.2B is painted to represent a E2581, built in September 1918 which served with 39 Squadron RAF. In 1921 this aeroplane was donated to the Imperial War Museum in London.
PAINTED IN RAF LIVERY TO REPRESENT MACHINE E2581
Manufacturer of Item Modelled
Type of item
165 mm (Width)