Turbinia was the first steam turbine powered vessel. The first public demonstration took place at Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Naval Review at Portsmouth in 1897. The experimental vessel was built by Charles Parsons using three turbine engines each with its own shaft and propeller to achieve a top speed of over 30 knots. The turbine engine produced rotary motion by forcing steam through a series of progessively smaller blades on a central shaft. This design was also the forerunner of the principle used by jet engines. Parsons & Co. became the leading maker of steam turbine engines for warships and commercial vessels.

This sectioned model was purchased by the Museum in 1972.

Physical Description

Metal model of ship painted green and white with blue stripe and brown deck and mustard coloured funnel in centre. One side has been sectioned to show the engine room inside.

More Information