Turret clock installed at Eastern Market, corner Bourke and Exhibition Streets, Melbourne. Made by Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne, 1879.

The clock was installed when the Eastern Market was rebuilt in 1879; the market was demolished in 1960.

Thomas Gaunt established a watchmakers and jewellers business in Melbourne in 1852, and moved to larger premisses in Bourke Street on the corner of Royal Arcade in 1857. Gaunt manufactured many of the large public clocks in Melbourne and throughout Victoria.

More Information