Fiat 501 motor car with a tourer body. Built and transported to Australia in 1925. Purchased by the Museum in 1964. According to Fiat factory records the chassis and engine were built in 1925. Some refurbishment to the body was later carried out by Martin & King.

Physical Description

Fitted with 23 horsepower (17 kW) straight four-cylinder side-valve 1460 cc petrol engine and four-speed manual transmission. Wheelbase 265 cm (104.3 in). Curb weight approx 1,000 kg (2,205 lb).


This vehicle is typical of the type of medium-sized motor car popular in Australia during the 1920s at a time when cars for private use were increasingly being acquired by middle-class families. At this time most motor cars sold in Australia were imported as 'knocked down' chassis and engine units that were fitted with locally-made bodies available in various styles before being sent to the distributor's showrooms.

More Information