Established in 1954, Yamaha became one of the world's largest manufacturers of motor cycles within two decades producing a range of models from 48cc to 748cc designed for commuting, touring, moto-cross and racing. Although initially gaining much of their reputation for two stroke design, four stroke models have been an increasing part of the company's output since the early 1970s.

This late 1983 production 247 c.c model was purchased new by the Museum from Yamaha Australia in 1984. It represents the smallest sized motor cycle in the water-cooled high-powered two-stroke RZ series with which Yamaha achieved considerable racing success during the late 1960s and 1970s.

More Information