1851 Colt Navy percussion revolver, late fourth model, cal. .36 in., rifled octagonal barrel 190 mm (7 1/2 inch) long with loading lever attached.

Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut. The features of this example suggest that it was made at Colt's Hartford factory, Connecticut, using some components manufactured at Colt's London factory. Serial number 168579, 1864.

One of 250 Colt Navies purchased by the Victorian Police in 1864. The barrel lug is stamped with Victorian Police district mark 'D 32' (D - Castlemaine District). Converted to accept cartridge ammuntion by Melbourne gunsmith and retailer, James Watson Rosier in 1870.

Physical Description

Six chambered cylinder converted on the Thuer patent to accept cartridge ammunition engraved with naval battle scene, large rounded Hartford style steel trigger guard, steel frame, steel back strap, 'Slim Jim' style grips repaired on left hand side, and stamped on right hand side '614'. Percussion shield cut-out has cap slot, thick loading level catch, pin style front sight. Knurling on hammer is of typical course Hartford style. Barrel address is late New York address. Bevelled loading notch has been machined when the revolver was converted under the Thuer patent to accept cartridge ammunition. Inspector's initial 'L' stamped onto triggerguard below serial number. Cylinder and left hand side of barrel stamped with British proof marks.

More Information