Model of the Royal Navy Battle class destroyer HMS Armada, named in honour of the English victory over the Spanish Armada in 1588.

The original ship was built by R.& W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co on the Tyne. HMS Armada was launched on 9 December 1943 and commissioned on 2 July 1945. Although HMS Armada was intially assigned to the British Pacific Fleet, based at Sydney, the ship did not see action before the end of the war against Japan in August 1945, arriving after the Japanese surrender. HMS Armada visited Melbourne in early 1946. Shortly afterwards it was transferred to the 19th Destroyer Flotilla and deployed to the Far East, In 1949, HMS Armada was transferred to the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla and deployed to the Mediterranean where the ship served most as the rest of its career. In 1956 it was involved in the British response to the Suez Crisis. Two modified Battle class destroyers were built in Australia after the war as HMA Ships Anzac and Tobruk.

This 1:96 scale model of HMS Armada in blue British Pacific Fleet camouflage was purchased by the Museum in 1958, from Mr John B. Walker, who was a professional ship modelmaker and former employee of the ship construction branch of the Department of the Navy. He built a number of models that were acquired by the Museum.
Note: This model was originally incorrectly identified by the modelmaker as the HMAS Bataan, a Tribal class destroyer built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard, Sydney, during World War II.

Physical Description

Type: Battle Class Destoyer Tons Burthen: 2,325 tons Length: 379 ft (116 m) Beam: 40.25 ft (12.27 m) Armament: 4 x 4.5 inch guns; 1 x 4 inch gun; 8 x torpedo tubes; anti-aircraft guns & depth charges

More Information