Copy of a black and white photograph showing John Satchell and James Satchell with a steamable working model of the Hobson's Bay Railway Company's pier shunting locomotive. The original engine on which the model was based was built by Robert Stephenson & Sons, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in 1857, for the Melbourne & Hobson's Bay Railway Company and was an 0-4-0 well-tank type 5-ft 3-in gauge steam locomotive. Known as Locomotive No.5, the engine was used by the Hobson's Bay Company, and its successor the Melbourne & Hobson's Bay United Railway Company for shunting goods trunks on Railway Pier at Sandridge (now Port Melbourne). In 1876 it was acquired by the Victorian Railways along with all other assets of the Hobson's Bay Railway Company and was retained in service until 1904.

John Satchell built the model while working as an apprentice mechanic at Langlands Foundry and was awarded a medal for it when he displayed the model in the Intercolonial Exhibition of Victoria, 1866-67. His father, James Satchell was a foreman at Langlands and had previously worked for the Hobson's Bay Railway Co. John later sold the model to Professor Kernot of the University of Melbourne in 1887 and used the proceeds to buy a block of land at Caulfield. The photograph was taken by an early Melbourne commercial photographic studio in about 1868.

Description of Content

Modelmaker John Satchell (1845-1938) at left, and his father James Satchell (1813-1870) at right, with a model of the Hobson's Bay Railway Company pier shunting locomotive.

More Information