A dark blue pillbox hat with red band and gold insignia. Worn by a gunner in the Victorian Horse Artillery.

According to the Australian War Memorial, the Victorian Horse Artillery was formed as the Nordenfelt (Rupertswood) battery at Sunbury in 1884, and renamed the Victorian Horse Artillery in 1889. It was divided into two batteries: Werribee park, run by the Chirnside family, and Rupertswood, run by the Clarke family. Werribee was disbanded in 1893; Rupertswood was disbanded in 1897.

Physical Description

Pillbox hat. Dark blue, with a red band around edge. Gold insignia on front (circular, with 'tail' above), and a gold braid button on the centre of the crown. Chin strap. Red quilted lining.

More Information