British percussion rifle, Charles Reeves patent, cal. .543 in., steel rifled (five groove) round barrel, 838 mm long. Manufactured by Charles Reeves, Birmingham, circa 1860.

One of 26 guns donated in 1871 by the Victorian Ordnance Department from its Melbourne Armoury, for the newly created Industrial and Technological Museum. The display was intended to show mechanics and gunsmiths the principles of gun construction and recent technical developments in weapons.

Physical Description

Steel lock and hammer on R.H. side, breech loading sliding bolt mechanism (parts missing) for self consuming paper cartridges, steel oval triggerguard with small front spur and dropped rear spur, no sideplate, steel butt plate and forendcap, two sling swivels. Barleycorn front sight, graduated rear sight, to 400yds on the bed and 1000yds on the leaf, barrel fastened to stock via two steel barrel bands.

More Information