British Service percussion rifle, General Hay's pattern, cal. .577 in., steel round barrel, 915 mm long. Made by Isaac Hollis & Sons, Birmingham, circa 1860.

Buttplate tang stamped 'F/ 433/ V.V' denoting use by the Victorian Volunteer forces. The model was used in Victoria by the Volunteer Forces and featured in competitive range shooting.

One of 26 guns donated in 1871 by the Victorian Ordnance Department from its Melbourne Armoury, for the newly created Industrial and Technological Museum. The display was intended to show mechanics and gunsmiths the principles of gun construction and recent technical developments in weapons.

Physical Description

Steel lock and hammer on R.H. side, bronze oval triggerguard with small front spur, no sideplate, bronze butt plate, two sling swivels. Bedded bladed front sight, graduated rear sight to 1150 yards, barrel fastened to stock via three steel barrel bands, steel ramrod missing.


The Hay Pattern was designed by General Hay of the School of Musketry at Hythe, England, with the intention of producing a better service rifle, particularly for range shooting. It was produced under private contract to Isaac Hollis & Sons, hence the markings on the lockplate.

More Information