Model of the Royal Navy (4180 ton) Caledon class light cruiser HMS Caledon. As class leader of three ships, Caledon was built by Cammell Laird and commissioned in 1917, seeing action at the Second Battle of the Helgoland Bight in November 1917 when one of her crew, AB John Carless was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross. Caledon remained in service during World War II serving with the Home, Mediterranean, Red Sea, Eastern Fleets and was later converted to an anti-aircraft cruiser in 1943 before being scrapped at Dover in 1948.

This model was acquired by the Museum from the model-maker Mr E.J. Krummeck in 1941 as part of a large collection of British and Australian naval ship models.

More Information