The MV Kista Dan (1250 GRT) was built in Denmark for J Lauritzen Lines in 1952. This diesel powered vessel was designed for Arctic conditions with a fully-welded ice-breaker hull. Between 1953 and 1957 she was used by the Australian National Antarctic Reseach Expeditions (ANARE) to establish the Mawson and Davis bases and was captained by Hans Christian Petersen. In 1957 the Kista Dan was replaced with the MV Thala Dan and the MV Magga Dan. After several changes of ownership and name the former MV Kista Dan was broken up in Turkey in 1998. This 1:100 scale model was purchased by the Museum in 1955. It was made by Alexander Urquhart of Geelong

More Information