1851 Colt Navy percussion revolver, middle fourth model, cal. .36 in., rifled octagonal barrel 190 mm (7 1/2 inch) long with loading lever attached.

The features of this example suggest that it was made at Colt's Hartford factory, Connecticut, using some components manufactured at Colt's London factory. Serial number 165917, 1864.

One of 250 Colt Navies purchased by the Victorian Police in 1864. The barrel lug is stamped with Victorian Police district mark 'L 10' (L - Beechworth District), and the wooden grip stamped on right hand side with Victorian Police issue number '616'. Converted to accept cartridge ammuntion by Melbourne gunsmith and retailer, James Watson Rosier in 1870.

Physical Description

Six chambered cylinder engraved with naval battle scene, large rounded Hartford style steel trigger guard, steel frame, steel back strap, late Hartford style wooden grips. Percussion shield cut-out has cap slot, thin loading level catch, pin style front sight missing. Knurling on hammer is of typical London style framed in an inverted 'U'. Barrel address is late New York address. Serial number falls into the range allocated for late fourth models, however the thin loading level catch - as opposed to a thick catch - denotes this model as a middle fourth. Cylinder and L.H. side of barrel stamped with British proof marks. Bevelled loading notch has been machined when the revolver was converted under the Thuer patent to accept cartridge ammuntion (Patent No.82258, 15 September 1868). This conversion was undertaken by Melbourne gunsmith and retailer, James Watson Rosier, in 1870. At some point, the revolver's original percussion cylinder has been reinstalled.

More Information