Green marble fragments from the De Marco Brothers circa 1920s. The De Marco Brothers were manufacturers and installation specialists of mosaic, terrazzo, ironite and granolithic flooring. Established by Italian brothers Severino and Annibale De Marco who migrated to Australia in the early 1900s, the De Marco Brothers business operated in Melbourne from circa 1914 - circa 1955. They made contributions to many prominent Melbourne building projects including the Myer Emporium (Myers), the T & G Building and the Hotel Australia.

Physical Description

Granular pieces of Australian green serpentine used for making terrazzo. Colours appear as shades of mottled green with some rust coloured flecks. Colours present only when samples are moistened. Dry samples appear as shades of mid-grey. Samples are of a relatively consistant size. Samples contained in a jar with a card label with typed letters, most likely original museum object label.

More Information