Colt New Service centrefire revolver, cal. .455 in. Eley, rifled round barrel 13.90cm (5 1/2 in) long.

Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, serial number 130659, 1918

Transferred from the Australian Army School of Infantry, number M273.

Physical Description

Six chambered long fluted cylinder with cylinder stops on outer surface, cylinder is a swing-out model to allow for loading and extraction, solid steel frame, steel rounded trigger guard, steel back strap, all metal components with original blueing, some wear to colouring along barrel and on cylinder high points, black two-piece finely chequered hard rubber grips with 'COLT' framed in an oval at grip upper on both sides, lanyard ring in butt. New Service style bladed front sight with rear of sight notched, cylinder catch on frame L.H.side, ejector rod head with two chequered collars. Stamped on L.H.side of frame above grip is the rampant Colt logo. Stamped on L.H.side of frame above cylinder catch is a crown over illegible markings, F, and a broad arrow denoting British inspection marks. Stamped on L.H.side of frame at muzzle end of cylinder a pair of crossed pennants, stamped on L.H.side of triggerguard 'VP' and 3, denoting firearm's final check as being positive. The individual single-digit is the number code of the inspector. One-line Colt address stamped on barrel with second line of patent dates and terminated with a star. Stamped on frame top with star. The star stamping denotes the firearm having been sold out of service. School of Infantry number M273.


The Colt New Service model was the largest swingout-cylinder revolver made by Colt and appeared in 1898 and continued with various improvements and modifications, until 1944. Due to the period of its run, the model saw service in both World Wars and was produced in eighteen calibres, including popular British calibres to cater for that market. This particular model is stamped with British ordnance marks and chambered to the popular English .455 Eley. Army and Navy models were produced in 1909 and in the same year a now rare to find Marine Corp model was produced. One of the best known variants is the 1917 model chambered to .45 ACP, three rounds being held in a semi-circular clip for speed loading. Two clips loaded the cylinder. The same ammunition could also be used in Colt's 1911 automatic pistol.

More Information