Summary

Folded pamphlet for P & O Orient Line ships Arcadia and Iberia, circa 1950s-1960s. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

Orient Line ships cited on the pamphlet:

Arcadia - Launched 14th May 1953, she voyaged between Britain and Australia, and also made a number of cruises from Southampton. In 1970, Arcadia had her main mast removed and was refitted to accommodate 1372 passengers in a single class. She was transferred to America for cruises between San Francisco and Mexican Ports which were so successful, she remained there until 1976. Arcadia was then sent to Sydney making cruises to the South Pacific and Asia until she was finally taken out of service in 1979.

Iberia - Handed over to P & O on 10th September 1954. She had accommodation for 673 first class passengers and and 733 tourist class, and at first voyaged between Southampton and Australia. On 14th March 1956, Iberia collided with a tanker, and although the extensice damage was reparable, she was consigned to making occasional cruises from Southampton. Eventually, in 1959, she made her first voyage around the world. However, with persistent engine troubles, she was withdrawn from service in 1972.

Physical Description

Folded double-sided pamphlet on gloss paper. Colour graphics and black and white photographs. Text in English.

More Information