Bookmark issued by P & O Lines in 1968 for use on the ship S.S. Orcades. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

The Orcades was launched on 14th October 1947 and was the first new liner to reach Australia after World War II. For the first six years, the Orcades travelled only between Britain and Australia via the Suez Canal. Her first Pacific voyage was made in December 1954, and used for a number of Pacific voyages and cruises. In 1973, she was sent to ship breakers in Taiwan.

Physical Description

Flat double-sided bookmark. Front has gloss colour illustration of the ship, which is white with orange funnel, and green ocean. Back has information about the ship and advertisement for its cruises in blue and black text.

More Information