Bookmark issued by P & O Lines in 1968 for use on the ship S.S. Himalaya. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

The SS Himalaya was the first liner to be built for P & O after World War II and was launched on 5th October 1948. Himalaya made a number of cruises and voyages from Britain to Sydney, and in 1959 made the first P & O crossing from America to Japan. In 1963, she was converted to a one-class liner, carrying 1416 passengers, and was used for cruises until 1974.

Physical Description

Flat double-sided bookmark. Front has gloss colour illustration of the ship, which is white with orange funnel, and green ocean. Back has information about the ship and advertisement for its cruises in blue and black text.

More Information