Bookmark issued by P & O Lines in 1968 for use on the ship S.S. Arcadia. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

The SS Arcadia was launched 14th May 1953, she voyaged between Britain and Australia, and also made a number of cruises from Southampton. In 1970, Arcadia had her main mast removed and was refitted to accommodate 1372 passengers in a single class. She was transferred to America for cruises between San Francisco and Mexican Ports which were so successful, she remained there until 1976. Arcadia was then sent to Sydney making cruises to the South Pacific and Asia until she was finally taken out of service in 1979.

Physical Description

Flat double-sided bookmark. Text in English. Front has gloss colour illustration of the ship, which is white with orange funnel, and green ocean. Back has information about the ship and advertisement for its cruises in blue and black text.

More Information