Bookmark issued by P & O Lines in 1968 for use on the ship S.S. Orsova. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

The SS Orsova was the first liner to be built without masts and to have a welded hull, she was launched on 14th May 1953. She accommodated 681 first class passengers, 813 tourist class and 620 crew. Cruises were undertaken between Britain and Australia, around the Pacific, and world cruises. In 1965, Orsova's ownership transferred to P & O, and continued in service until 1974.

Physical Description

Flat double-sided bookmark. Front has gloss colour illustration of the ship, which is white with orange funnel, and green ocean. Back has information about the ship and advertisement for its cruises in blue and black text.

More Information