Bookmark issued by P & O Lines in 1968 for use on the ship S.S. Iberia. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

The SS Iberia was handed over to P & O on 10th September 1954. She had accommodation for 673 first class passengers and and 733 tourist class, and at first voyaged between Southampton and Australia. On 14th March 1956, Iberia collided with a tanker, and although the extensice damage was reparable, she was consigned to making occasional cruises from Southampton. Eventually, in 1959, she made her first voyage around the world. However, with persistent engine troubles, she was withdrawn from service in 1972.

Physical Description

Flat double-sided bookmark. Front has gloss colour illustration of the ship, which is white with orange funnel, and green ocean. Back has information about the ship and advertisement for its cruises in blue and black text.

More Information