Envelope for a brochure issued by the P&O Lines, circa 1965. It contains advertising material and information for the ship SS Canberra. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

The SS Canberra, sailed from Southampton on her maiden voyage on 2nd June 1961, to Australia via the Suez canal. During the first year of operation, S.S. Canberra suffered from persistent mechanical problems and had to be temporarily withdrawn for repairs. She accommodated 548 first class passengers and 1650 tourist class passengers, and spent her first ten years in the Australian trade. She was withdrawn from this service in 1972 and refitted to carry 1500 passengers in a single class cruise ship, due to a decline in demand. Canberra briefly made cruises around America, but found her place making three month cruises around the world. In April 1982, Canberra was requisitioned by the British government for use as a troup carrier during the Falklands war, and required an extensive refit for a return to passenger service in September. She was still in service in 1988.

Physical Description

Matt white paper envelope with colour illustration of a flag on the front. On back, there is a metal tie to hold the envelope together.

More Information