Folded double-sided bookmark or leaflet for Orient Liner SS Oronsay, circa 1950s. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship memorabilia collected by John McKay. John began collecting shipping brochures as a boy through an interest in travel and later used some of the material in his professional capacity as a Geography and Social Studies teacher. He finally made a voyage himself in 1957-1958, to England to attend a scouting jamboree, although he ended up staying for 18 months. He remembers lots of Australians going over at that time, and references to Earls Court as 'Kangaroo Alley'.

The S. S. Oronsay was launched in on 30th June 1950. She left Tilbury on her maiden voyage on 16th May 1951 and arrived in Fremantle on 8th June. 'Oronsay' was originally used for voyages between Britain and Australia, but made her first cruise on 14th February 1953. In 1960, P & O absorbed Orient Lines and the Oronsay remained in service for the company until 1975.

Physical Description

Folded double-sided pamphlet on matt paper. Front has colour illustration of the ship at sea. Back has black and white illustrations and describes technical details about the ship and the route taken for passenger cruises.

More Information