Alternative Name(s): Woodturning Pattern; Templet; Template; Stencil

Woodturning templates created by Adolph Bruhn & Son, circa 1970 - 1990. They were found hanging from the wall in Area A at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.

Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.

Physical Description

Three woodturning designs which comprise measurements, descriptions and drawings of woodturned products written and drawn onto three wooden planks. Two of the planks are made from balsa-wood and the third is made from solid wood. Each plank has a hole cut near the top end through which a thick piece of wire has been threaded. The wire serves to keep the designs together and to hang planks from a nail in the wall.

More Information