Other Name(s): Motorbike Helmet
Off-white fibreglass helmet with separate leather neck guard, to be used by motorbike rider. This helmet was apparently found too difficult and expensive to manufacture. Found in large storeroom downstairs at Simpson's Glove Factory in 1988.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
Off-white fibreglass helmet. Dome shape, with holes around lower rim. Rim flares slightly outwards. Separate white leather piece to fit around base of helmet to protect neck. This piece has pockets for ear plugs.
Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
Type of item