Alternative Name(s): Napkin
This white cotton napkin is part of the furnishing and equipment used at Florentino Restaurant in Bourke Street Melbourne, during the time of Branco Tocigl's ownership from 1979-1989.
Florentino's opened during the 1920s under the ownership of Polish migrant Samuel Wynn and management of Rinaldo Massoni who had migrated from Italy in 1911. Originally Cafe Denat in Exhibition Street, the new owners moved it to Exhibition Street and changed the name to Cafe Florentino. Under Massoni's management (he purchased the lease from Wynn in 1929), the cafe flourished and expanded into the neighbouring Edments gift store in 1935. Massoni died suddenly in 1941 and the restaurant has had a series of owners ever since, but has always remained in its 1935 location.
A woven cotton fabric with 'fleur-de-lis' pattern in rows over all, every second row faces the first and the patterns fit between each other. A machine hem on each side. Right side corner the inscription word is embroidered in red cotton. The letters are 5mm high.
Florentino Restaurant represents one of the longest continuously operating restaurants in Melbourne, indeed it is recognised as a Melbourne 'institution.' Documenting its history enables not just the representation of a significant local business in the collection, but also the telling of broader stories about the significance of migrant community ties in establishing and maintaining businesses over time; and the role of migrant communities in participating in the cultural evolution of Melbourne through its food, wine and coffee cultures.
Donation from Mr Branco Tocigl, 17/06/1996
Place & Date Used
Text, embroidered: Florentino.
Type of item
525 mm (Width), 485 mm (Height)
The following related photographs are held by the Italian Historical Society: P-01595; P-06544.