Section of cast iron 'lacework' retreived from the Federal Coffee Palace that was originally built in 1888, by James Mirams. It later became The Federal Hotel. The hotel was demolished by Whelan the Wrecker in 1972. This is when the piece became part of Mr Myles Whelan's collection. It was donated in 1991, along with the rest of the Whelan Collection, when the company went into receivership.

Physical Description

Ornate cast iron decoration that consists of one central rectangle on an angle and circular scroll shapes (arabesques) around it. The initals of the Federal Coffee Palace (FCP) have been worked into the central portion of the piece. There are two main shafts on an angle and holes at both ends show the decoration was fixed to the the building it came from. The piece has been painted gold.

More Information