Alternative Name(s): Bicycle Cap, Bicycle Hat, Cyclist's Helmet

Bicycle cap of dark brown leather with ear flaps and visor. Made circa 1930-1939. Labelled 'Simpson's Gloves Factory, Richmond, Victoria, Victoria'.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.

Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.

Physical Description

Bicycle cap, dark brown leather. Fur around face and ear flaps. Checked cotton lining. Stiffened visor. Chin strap with metal buckle.

More Information